Here are highlights from this article in the February 2018 edition of Fell Pony News from Willowtrail Farm:
- The Edinburgh Prize for Driving was created in 2014. His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh intends it to “to be awarded internationally to a single or multiple turnout of registered Fell Ponies, for achievement in Driving.”
- For 2017, the award went to a North American for the first time.
- Upon my reading of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh’s book 30 Years on and off the Box Seat, it’s no surprise that he would establish this prize.
- I was warned that the book might be boring for someone like me who isn’t involved in competitive driving. On the contrary I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the sport, and I especially appreciated the second half of the book when he transitioned from horses to Fell Ponies.
- I’ve always been curious about the lineage of the ponies that HRH the Duke of Edinburgh has driven over the years. I learned that only rarely were ponies bought particularly for his team...
- The Fell Pony breed is very fortunate that HM the Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh take such an active interest in our ponies.
To request the entire article, click here.